Meal prepping is more than just cooking all your meals for the week. There are many different forms of meal prep that range from planning your breakfast for tomorrow morning to strategizing where you’re going to eat when you’re out at a restaurant. If you’re wanting to start meal prepping but feel like its too overwhelming (which it can be sometimes), take a look at the list below and pick a couple meal prep activities to work on and see how different ways of food prepping work for you!
Start With One Meal Prep Activity + Gradually Add-On
- Grocery shopping
- Menu and meal planning
- Washing and chopping vegetables
- Weighing out cooked food portions
- Cooking/preparing protein
- Cooking meals in bulk
- Preparing the dry ingredients for things like smoothies and omelets
- Soaking grains/beans beforehand so that they’ll be ready to cook later (steamer bags of veggies work great too when you’re short on time)
- Sorting foods into smaller containers or baggies
- Freezing and refrigerating food for later
- Planning healthy meals that someone else cooks (e.g. using a meal delivery service, deciding in advance what to order at a restaurant, etc.)
- Looking ahead to ensure healthy eating strategies during the next few days, especially during difficult times (e.g. a busy week, traveling, dealing with a family crisis, etc.)
Meal prepping also has other perks. It will save you both time and money! You might not realize it, but you waste a lot of time standing in front of your fridge each afternoon deciding what to make for dinner; not to mention the money you waste running to the store four or five times a week to pick up last minute ingredients for the evening’s meal. By planning your meals in advance, you eliminate these time and money wasters.Win-win, right?!
Not only does meal preppy save you time and money, it will help you avoid making unhealthy food choices. Let’s be honest, how many times have you chosen to go through the fast food line in place of preparing a healthy meal? Probably more times than you want everyone to know. Meal planning helps eliminate the need to rely on this unhealthy last minute option.
I’m happy to answer any questions you may have about prepping your meals. Reach out to me by emailing email@example.com or reaching out to our Facebook Page. If you’re seeking a personalized meal plan, definitely check out our Nutrition Page.
Nutrition Coach Lauren